Match Reports

Ladies thirds gain promotion!

On Friday night the ladies 3s travelled to Carrickfergus to play Greenisland in their second last game of the season.

Reflecting back to last weeks game against Priorians North down knew they had to play their own game right from the first whistle and this is what the girls did. Greenisland had the first pass back and straight away the North Down forward line were applying pressure to the attacking home team players. It wasn’t long before North Down started their one two passing between the midfields and the forwards and they spent most of the first half in the attacking circle.

Throughout the first half North Down had plenty of chances to get he first goal of the game but the Greenisland defenders were quick to clear any play that came near them. The home team were quick on the break and entered the North a Down defending circle on a few occasions but no penalty corners or shots on goal were taken.

North Downs first goal of the game came from a switch of play from the left to the right were Ali Millar carried the ball up to the circle and hit the ball to the left hand post where Laura Lytle placed the ball firmly in the back of the net. Minutes before half time North Down where awarded several other penalty corners but no more goals were won.

North Down were fairly confident that the home team would come back out fighting after half time so the girls where determined to keep their heads and to get a few more goals on the scoreboard. Greenisland at the start of the second half had a couple of chances to even the scoreboard but goalkeeper Linda Marshall kept the defenders on their toes and left back Rachel Gibson cleared the play with ease.

Again most of the second half was spent in the attacking half for North Down and had several more chances to score again. After numerous penalty corners Ali Millar got the second goal of the game from a penalty corner.

For the remaining time left North Down kept their heads and tried to get another goal before the final whistle was blown but the girls where very happy to leave with a 2-0 victory. Many thanks to Laura Campbell of for umpiring.

Player of the match – Megan Spence

Report by Kathryn Rogers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Upcoming Events