First eleven maintain unbeaten run!

North Down travelled to Stormont on Saturday for a Premier League game and with a 2-1 victory extended their unbeaten run to 4 games. They can now look forward to entertaining Portadown next week hoping to avenge a 6-1 thrashing  at Portadown earlier in the season.

North Down, without McKeown and Fynn, got off to the worst possible start losing Phil Wilson after just 5 minutes with a dislocated shoulder. However this upset did not deter them as they promptly won a short corner which was stopped illegally on the line and Josh Gilmore calmly slotted home the resulting penalty. North Down were in total control and Linter crossed but no one  was able to get on the end of it the pass. A great passing movement involving Linter ,Moore and Gilmore saw the latter’s shot saved.

The second quarter saw the pace drop and North Down seemed content to hold onto their lead. Moore had a good run and saw his cross hit the post but no one was on hand to push over the line. North Down were creating chances and Gilmore’s effort went wide before Conor Tweedie, who covered every inch of the pitch, saw his attack come to nothing. At the other end Gill had a shot go just past the post then a harmless looking overhead was played out of the Service defence but the normally reliable McGimpsey missed it. The ball then bounced over Boyd to an unmarked attacker who drew Rodgers and slipped the ball into the empty net. Orr attacked down the right and the ball was played across goal but Bailie was unable to make contact in front of goal.

The third quarter continued in the same vein with North Down on the attack and Service happy to play for penalty corners. Welsh crossed for Moore but his effort was wide of goal. At the other end in a rare Service attack they  hit the post before skipper Ross Linter, leading by example, made a run down the right and crossed for Bailie to put the visitors ahead.

Service came out in the final quarter with all guns blazing. Aaron Gill won a short corner but Boyd’s speed off the line denied Chris Barnes. Barnes had another attempt at a short corner but this time his effort was well saved by Rodgers. A Gill effort was saved while at the other end North Down won a corner when Linter was fouled but the routine failed and the danger was cleared. A long clearance found Moore unmarked and as he entered the circle the keeper made a fine block. At the other end Rodgers got his stick  to the ball and deflected a Barnes reverse over the bar. Just as the final whistle was about to sound Service won another corner. The first effort was  blocked at the expense of another. A poor stop denied a shot at goal but the visitor’s defence failed to clear conceding another corner. This time Rodgers saved and the ball was cleared to safety to the relief of Coach McSherry.

Burch Autos Man of the Match: Conor Tweedie

An early trip to A&E for Phil Wilson!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Upcoming Events