Match ReportsMens

First eleven fade in final minutes at Mossley

North Down travelled to Mossley last Thursday evening hoping to secure their place in the top half of the Premier League before the mid season split. In a game played at a frantic pace Mossley eventually ran out comfortable winners by 4-1.

North Down introduced a number of young kids to their squad as some of the senior players were unavailable and they all contributed to a fine team performance.  It was only in the final 7 minutes that the pressure told with Mossley scoring three goals in rapid succession.

The first half saw play switch from end to end with some fast flowing hockey. Both sides created chances but it was keeper Darren Rodgers who was the hero with some superb saves especially from short corners.  Skipper Ross Linter was finding acres of space on the right but his crosses just eluded the incoming forwards.

The game remained scoreless until 10 minutes into the second half when Mossley opened the scoring after a period of home pressure.  However, North Down did not let their heads drop and put pressure on the home circle.  Midway through the half, Andy McKibbin equalised with a strong strike from a short corner.  Shortly afterwards McKibbin’s strike from another corner was well saved and the rebound went agonisingly past the post.  Mossley should have scored but shot over the bar with the goal at their mercy but continued to pile on the pressure and were rewarded with three goals in a remarkable final seven minutes. The defence was caught out of position and the forward had a simple task to beat Rodgers. Almost immediately afterwards Mossley again found the North Down defence in disarray and added their third in a similar fashion.   They completed the scoring in the final minute giving them a seemingly comfortable victory however it was anything but that.

PMB Man of the Match: Darren Rodgers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Upcoming Events