Match ReportsMens

Valuable points for seconds!

North Down seconds kicked off the New Year with an important 2-1 win over Lisnagarvey 3rds!

The first quarter was a cagey affair with both teams trying to get back in the groove after the Christmas break. After 7 minutes skipper Mark Linter had to leave the field injured and a quick reshuffle of positions caused the North Down defence some initial disarray which Garvey capitalised on with a sharp finish in the circle to go a goal ahead. North Down responded immediately and equalised before the break with Rich Willis getting the final touch on an effort on goal from Andy McKee. Reece Glover had to make a number of fine saves during the first quarter to keep the scores tied.

Mark Linter returned to the field at the start of the second quarter helping to settle the North Down defence and reset the defence. This resulted in North Down starting to dominate the match however they were unable to turn their superiority into goals with a number of chances going begging!

The third quarter was played in the same vein.  North Down were playing all the hockey but still unable to take the numerous chances they were creating until Harry McKeown rounded the keeper and slotted the ball into the net with a composed finish leaving the game 2-1 to North Down going into the final quarter.

As expected Garvey rallied in the final quarter and started to push for the equaliser. This resulted in them winning five short corners leaving Glover and his defence to face one of the best dragflickers in the league! However, the short corner team stood strong with Glover making a number of brilliant saves and the evergreen Paul Adgey taking one off the line!

The match ended 2-1 to North Down and the seconds have now won three in a row with an opportunity to extend that run away to Annadale next weekend!

The Birch Autos Man of the Match was Reece Glover.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Upcoming Events